18 March 2012

Coming Soon: A 7 Part Blog-Series

I'm reading a new book!  In fact, I'm already half way done with it.  It's been so refreshing and I want to highly recommend it if you have not yet read it.  The book is Feminine Appeal by Carolyn Mahaney.  She is so easy to read - so encouraging and edifying, yet equally convicting! She writes with such a good balance and is so personable.  


The book is subtitled, "Seven virtues of a godly wife and mother," making it extremely applicable for my life right now.  There is nothing that I desire more than to be a godly wife and mother.  So, I was excited to jump into the book, and it has not disappointed.  The book is an exposition of the Titus 2 woman, "Older women likewise are to be reverent in their behavior, not malicious gossips nor enslaved to much wine, teaching what is good, so that they may encourage the young women to love their husbands, to love their children, to be sensible, pure, workers at home, kind, being subject to their own husbands, so that the word of God will not be dishonored." The book is broken down into nine chapters, the first and last being an introduction and conclusion.  This middle chapters are centered around seven virtues: the delight of loving my husband, the blessing of loving my children, the safety of self-control, the pleasure of purity, the honor of working at home, the rewards of kindness, and the beauty of submission.  These seven things are referred to by Paul as "what are good" for us to know as younger women who want to honor God's Word.  "Consider the loveliness of a woman who passionately adores her husband, who tenderly cherishes her children, who creates a warm and peaceful home, who exemplifies purity, self-control, and kindness in her character and who gladly submits to her husband's leadership - for all the days God grants her life.  I dare say there are few things that display the gospel jewel with greater elegance"(Carolyn Mahaney, p29). What an awesome and ambitious goal! 

So, starting this week and into the future I want to do a 7-part blog series, one on each of the chapters. I'm so excited to share what the Lord has been teaching me for both the accountability on my part to be not just a hearer, but also a doer; and hopefully, maybe to even encourage another wife or mom or friend!        

No comments:

Post a Comment